It’s always fascinating to learn about a celebrity’s early years, so we were intrigued to discover evidence of silent film star Charlie Chaplin’s school days in our Manchester School Registers.
Here is Chaplin’s admission register from Armitage Street Board School, Manchester where he went to school in 1899 while he was performing in the north of England.
He appears about halfway down the page – click on the image to see a larger version:
The record reveals the following about Chaplin’s life at the time:
- Address: 64 Morton Street
- Date of birth: 16 April 1890 – although no official record of Chaplin’s birth has been found
- Last school attended: London
- Date of admission: 9 January 1899
- Date Chaplin left the school: 22 February 1899
- Name of parent or guardian: Annie. Chaplin’s mother was called Hannah, so this could be a variant spelling or the name of a guardian
Learn about your ancestors’ school days
The Manchester School Registers are fantastic for catching a glimpse into your ancestors’ time at school.
The records cover more than 30 schools and you’ll find a handy description of each, including key details about the school’s history and its admissions.