We’ve published 5,774 new parish records for Surrey on findmypast.co.uk
These records form part of our Thames and Medway collection – an essential resource for anyone with ancestors in these areas.
Further details of the new records are as follows:
|Type of records||Number of records||Date range||Coverage|
|Baptisms||5,284||1850-1900||St Mary’s Rotherhithe and St Paul’s Rotherhithe|
|Marriages||490||1870-1885||St Mary’s Rotherhithe and St Paul’s Rotherhithe|
St Paul’s Rotherhithe was built in 1850 as a chapel of ease to the main church of St Mary’s Rotherhithe. The chapel was originally built so people wouldn’t have to take the long and difficult journey to St Mary’s.
The baptism registers recorded the baptisms as taking place at St Mary’s; however, all the baptisms actually took place at St Paul’s. The interior of St Paul’s was renovated in the 1890s with rescued timber from HMS Temeraire of the Battle of Trafalgar; however, the chapel was controversially demolished in 1955.
Local specialist Rob Cottrell provided findmypast.co.uk with these records.
Image of St Mary’s Church, Rotherhithe courtesy of Rob Cottrell.